The Jeweler's Eye
My photo
I am a jewelry designer and gemologist. I love creating beautiful heirloom jewelry for clients all over the world. In this blog, I feature many of my designs and current projects as well as articles about colored gemstones, diamonds and antique jewelry. As a historian and lover of antique and estate jewelry, I am often inspired by jewels from the past.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Benitoite

1.83 carat Benitoite - Fancy Trillium Shape

This is a gorgeous Benitoite I purchased a few years ago. The color was breathtaking, the fire intoxicating and the shape mesmerizing. Benitoite is one of my favorite gems, not only because it is so rare, but also because it can be seen in deep blue hues with subtle flashes of fire caused by an optical property known as dispersion.

Benitoite (pronounced "beh-NEE-toe-ite") is a rare gem that was first discovered in 1906 along the headwaters of the San Benito River in San Benito County, California. This small region is the only source in the world for gem quality Benitoite. Because of its rarity and beauty, Benitotite was adopted as California's state gemstone in 1985.

Benitoites have often been mistaken for fine blue sapphires and spinels due to their rich blue-violet colors. Benitoites tend to be found in smaller sizes with gems larger than one carat being the exception. Larger gems with rich color and exceptional quality are greatly prized by collectors.

My designs are often inspired by the gem itself and this lovely Benitoite is a great example of that. I designed a simple pendant with an antique flair, hand crafted in platinum then hand engraved with an Art Deco style pattern I call "Engraved Elegance". I added a few small diamond sprinkles to contrast with the rich deep hue of this Benitoite.

I hope you like the result of my love for this rare gem and the design it inspired.

This pendant has already been sold, however, I often work with clients seeking rare gems like Benitoite and help them purchase something truly special for their collections. I have to admit that being a "gemologist geek", one of the best aspects about my job is working with rare and unique gemstones.




Here is another fabulous Benitoite I sold a while back to a collector. This truly was a specialy stone.....musuem quality in terms of size and color.




If you would like to purchase a fine quality Benitoite, please send me an email to discuss options and pricing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just linked to your site in a small article I published on my blog. Thanks for the great resources. Let me know if I need to add Photo Credit.
THANKS!

you can see it here:
http://gooddaymine.blogspot.com/

Jewelry Manufacturer said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely blog with us!